Looking for your Region or Regional Lead? Click here!
The California Farm to School Network (CFSN) is a statewide initiative that is supported by staff from Community Alliance with Family Farmers, Life Lab, the Urban and Environmental Policy Institute, and your regional leads which represent a number of different organizations.
What is Farm to School?
Farm to school enriches the connection communities have with fresh, healthy food, local food producers and nature by changing food purchasing and education practices at schools and preschools.
Students gain access to healthy, local foods as well as education opportunities such as school gardens, cooking lessons and farm field trips. Farm to school empowers children and their families to make informed food choices while strengthening the local economy and contributing to vibrant communities.
Farm to school implementation differs by location but always includes one or more of the following:
- Procurement: Local foods are purchased, promoted and served in the cafeteria or as a snack or taste-test;
- Education: Students participate in education activities related to agriculture, food, health or nutrition; and
- School gardens: Students engage in hands-on learning through gardening/farming.
What is the California Farm to School Network?
Formed in 2004, the California Farm to School Taskforce was formed to provide coordination and leadership around Farm to School programming around the state. In 2013, the Taskforce made the leap to broaden their work, and transition to a network that is open to everyone in the state of California who is working on Farm to School programs and projects.
The California Farm to School Network is your “one-stop shop” for everything related to Farm to School in the state of California. As a communications hub and a convener across many organizations and regions in the state, the CFSN will align Farm to School efforts, share resources, and bring farmers, schools, distributors, and practitioners together, continuing California’s leadership in linking family farms to K-12 schools.
View the Mission, Value and Principle Statements to learn more about what drives us.
How can I link up to the network and learn more?
- Sign up for our listserv and/or newsletter (at right in the sidebar), and view our past newsletters
- follow @cafarmtoschool on Twitter
- bookmark this website, cafarmtoschool.org, and check back for comprehensive Farm to School updates on our blog
- Contact your Regional Lead to get connected to others in your area and find out about upcoming events and gatherings–visit the Regions page to find the contact information for your regional lead!
- Need specialized technical assistance getting your Farm to School program up and running? Contact us for fee-for-service rates and fundraising options!