- This event has passed.
Next Generation Science in the Garden Workshop for Grades K-5
March 9, 2017 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm$150 - $180
Let’s head outside and put earth and life back into Earth and Life Science! Using activities from Life Lab’s award-winning curricula, participants in this workshop learn to use a garden as a meaningful context in which their students can engage in Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices to examine Disciplinary Core Ideas and Cross-Cutting Concepts in science. Where better to explore ecological interdependence, growth and development of organisms, structure and function, adaptation, and the environmental impact of human activity than in an outdoor garden classroom? 2 units of graduate education credit available.
- How to lead highly contextualized, engaging, hands-on science lessons outdoors
- How to link garden activities to Next Generation Science Standards
- How to use garden-based science lessons to reinforce Common Core Math and English Language Arts
TAKE HOME …
- An activity packet full of garden-based, elementary science lessons cross-mapped to Next Generation Science, and Common Core Math and ELA Standards
- Inspiration to use the garden as context for exploring earth and life science
- Strategies for success from Life Lab and other educators engaged in this exciting work
- Optional: 2 units of education credit from the University of the Pacific ($60/unit)